Tuesday 17 January 2017

Mens Project


Male Project by Brett Visca




Client 1: Barry Visca

Age: 55

Occupation: Unemployed

            Barry Visca is currently a retired father and grandfather. His lifestyle includes being at home to do work around the house, golf, playing guitar, and spending time with family and his granddaughter. He leads a very laidback lifestyle and has low maintenance when it comes to his hairstyle. I chose him because he is my father, and also a constant client that I cut hair on. I know what he likes and what would look most appropriate on him.

            Barry has a heart shaped face, with the top of the head being wider, and his chin coming to a point. His hair is a fine texture, medium density below the occipital, and finer on the top of the head. He currently has square layers on the top of the head, and scissor over comb on the sides and back of the head. His strongest feature would be his eyes. He has big, round brown eyes, and is often complimented on them.

            What I would choose for Barry is actually similar to what he has styled right now, which was also chosen by me. I would do scissor over comb around the sides and back, leaving about 1 ½ inches in length. It will be a length that will retain some shape, but not too long that it will need a lot of styling and maintenance. The top I would also do square layers, parting it on the right side. He likes his hair parted off to the right, and I like the look of length on the top (about 3 inches) that he will be able to easily comb in place and let air dry into the shape that he would like when his hair is washed at home. He does have some greys, so I would also colour his hair to a 3N B/G, which would be identical to his natural colour.

            For products I would recommend using as his shampoo and conditioner the Invati For Men line. He has thinning and loss hair on the top of his head, and this will make the hair look fuller and healthier. I would also recommend as his styling product Pure Abundance Style Prep. He can spray this in his hair while its let and it will air dry with some grit, so that way once he combs his damp hair into place, it will set, with a natural texture and finish, and also give more fullness to the top of his head and hair. The language I would use would be very simple but specific:

“Barry, the reason I would recommend you using Invati is because it’s going to give you more fullness and thickens to the hair, and it’s something you don’t need to use that will take extra time out of your day. Lastly, as soon as you towel dry your hair, spray some of the Pure Abundance in your hair so once you comb it into place and let it air dry, it will again make your hair look fuller, but hold your style all day!”

This language would differ from a female client because with men, they want something low maintenance, easily obtainable, and to the point with how it’s going to work and what it will do.


Client 2: Ralph Hildebrand

Age: 26

Occupation: Sales

            Ralph is a 26 year old young professional. He currently works in sales for farm equipment as a job, but is looking to switch careers into more of a business company dealing with customer relations. His current lifestyle is nightlife, often going out, as well as shopping. He has an eye for fashion, and likes to maintain his looks and up keep with them. I chose him because not only is he cute as hell, he has really healthy hair, and he is the only male client I have with blonde hair. I’ve learned a lot about cutting men’s hair just from his hair texture and colour alone.

            Ralph has a round-oval shaped face. He has a course hair texture, with high density and a neutral blonde tone. His current hair style is scissor over comb on the sides and back, and square layers on the top of the head. He currently has a very textured, pomade finish as the style on the top of his head. His strongest features would definitely be his jawline, eyes, and lips, well actually everything.

            What I would do for Ralphs cut is start off by giving a solid taper on the sides and back. I would really show off his bone structure and facial features. They are very sharp and masculine and it would be nice to show them off. I would start off at the nape with a one, bringing it up halfway the head, and then continue with a three to right below the occipital area. I would trim the rest with my texturizing sheers to blend it to the top. As for the top length, I would still want to retain and grow that out, so I would just texturize some pieces with my razor to give him a texturized, out of bed finish. I really love his natural colour so I wouldn’t change that at all.

            The two products I would recommend would start off being the Men’s Grooming Clay. This is a great product for him to use in wet or dry hair, and would give the hold he needs with his hair, but give it movement so it would once again give the messy, out of bed hair look. I would also recommend Be Curly Hair Spray as a finishing product. I really like this for men’s hair because not only does it give hold, it also gives texture, especially with messy, fresh out of bed styled hair. I would word the use of these products by saying:

“Hey Ralph! So I am going to recommend two products for you to pick up and take home to achieve this really nice textured style at home. I would use our Men’s Grooming Clay as your styling product to start off in damp hair. When you blow dry this out, it gives your hair great shape and hold, but still with a little bit of movement so you can play around with it throughout the day, to achieve the look that you desire. To add more texture and hold, I would also use the Be Curly Hair Spray. The wheat protein will continue to give you hold and texture to the hair to take the style to the next level!”

This wouldn’t really be different terminology then a “woman” client as he would be just as interested in how to use the products and the effects they will give as much as a female client.


Client 3: Brenden Visca

Age: 32

Occupation: Social Worker

     Brenden is a 32 year old, father of one. His life consists of a hectic schedule. He currently is a house manager for adults living with disabilities, is a father and husband, and enjoys extra curricular activities like basketball and music. I chose him because he likes a longer style of mens cut, almost a square one length bob above the shoulder. His hair is different from the other two clients which is why i chose him.

     Brenden has a round shaped face with very round features. He has a thin texture, high density, straight hair. His current style is a one length, square above the shoulder, parted down the middle, with a 2N tone. He doesn't use any product to style his hair, and uses a generic shampoo and coniditioner for his hair. 

     I would keep the length of his hair because he likes the style, but i would start off by point cutting the perimiter. There is a lot of weight that sits there and it needs to be softened. He also has flat hair at the top, and needs some round concave layers to add some extra volume and shape at the top of his head, so it doesn't look flat and non volume.

     The products I would recomend would be the Pure Abundance Shampoo and Conditioner. He wants more volume and this would help with his thin texture. I would keep his routine very simple for style as well, as he is a low maitanace guy, and suggest Be Curly Hairspray. I would tell him to spray it in wet hair and blow dry it out. It is going to give body, texture and fullness to his hair, in 0 to minimal time, and is super easy to do at home. I would tell him how to use them the exact way I wrote it here, keeping it simple and getting to the point of how the products work. Guys tend to just here what the product is, and the main key point of how to use it and what it does. So I would keep the explanation very simple.



No comments:

Post a Comment