Friday 16 September 2016

JOURNAL ENTRIES UNIT 2

TUESDAY, AUG. 16:
We started off the day today doing our colour review on deposit only, pure pigment, and our colour catalyst for our test. I feel pretty confident in doing the colour test, its just learning the proper placement of o/r, r/v, and all those other pure pigments that I want to make sure I get right for the test. In the afternoon we went recruiting to The Forks. It was kind of intimidating approaching strangers to clientele them but it was a cool experience!

WEDNESDAY, AUG. 17:
Today was our colour test in the morning. I feel like I did really good at it. I studied hard and I hope that it shows off. We also got to do our first graduation cuts. Its funny because before coming to hair school when I looked at bobs, they all looked the same to me. Now learning all these different techniques they all look so different to me. I always love a day that we do hair cutting and this was no exception. It turned out amazing and El Jay said it was the best one I’ve done so far, so it definitely boosted my confidence.

THURSDAY, AUG. 18:
Today we got to do up styles all day. To be honest, I have never done an up style and it is all super intimidating to me. We started off with a pony tail and a chigon which went really awesome. Now the last one, the french twist was super hard for me. It was frustrating to see everyone else grasp it quicker than me but at the same time it was my first try and I don’t think I did too bad for it.

FRIDAY, AUG. 19:
I absolutely loved todays cut. I’m obsessed with the the short round layers we did today or as I like to call it, the shag. This hair cut was a lot of fun for the fact that it had lots of layers and dimension to it, and it reminded me of Rachel from Friends. There were obviously times during the cuts that I did have challenges and struggles with, but when it was all blown out with product, it looked really awesome and rock and roll. I loved it and am looking forward to the next one. 

SATURDAY, AUG. 20:
Today was our highlight model day. We started in the morning doing the highlights boot camp. I ended up taking an hour and a minute on mine but it wasn’t my best work. Next time I need to be really make sure I do the best job that I can. In the afternoon my client came in and we ended up doing some ELC and 30 vol highlights through out her hair. It turned out really good and she seemed pleased by it which I was super pumped about, The only thing was I needed to watch my saturation and make sure they were all evenly highlighted and covered.

TUESDAY, AUG. 23:
Long round layers was our cut today and I have to say it wasn’t too bad! The look of the hair cut itself I have definitely noticed it on tons of people, and the cutting of it was easier than I expected. I did unfortunately cut open one of my fingers when I should have been paying attention, but now I have learned my lesson. The cut did take all day, but I loved it when it was all finished and done, and it looked really timeless and sophisticated

WEDNESDAY, AUG. 24:
Today our focus was square layers above the shoulders. I usually am a huge fan of any kind of hair cut that we do, as cutting is one of my favourite things to do in the course, but man this was a hard cut to do. I think my biggest challenge is getting my cross over 1 and 2 mixed up, as well as the proper way to hold my scissors. Another thing about this hair cut was all the cross checking and going back into your sections to check everything. At times it confused me. We unfortunately didn’t get a chance or have time to finish it today.

THURSDAY, AUG. 25: 
Today we used our square layer mannequin and did our square graduation cut. We started off at the top this time though which has been different than a lot of the cuts we have done. The cut itself I loved and my mannequin ended up looking like Justin Beiber from 2013. I did screw up on the back right nape area and somehow cut off a chunk of hair off the mannequins hair. Me and Allison went through on what we thought went wrong and I’ll just have to watch my stance and elevation the next time I do that cut.

FRIDAY, AUG. 26:
We started off the morning doing our hair cutting written test. For the most part I think I memorized most of the terms that were going to be on the test but for some reason blanked on what over direction was. For the afternoon we got some time to practice our perms for the first time. Just like doing roller sets, I felt it was very time consuming, but easier to section and curl using perm rods then it was using rollers.

SATURDAY, AUG. 27:
Today was our deposit only model. My sister in law came in and we ended up doing a level 8 dark red from a level 5 dirty blonde. It was really cool to do the whole process on a human head instead of a mannequin head. I also feel like I am getting good handle on shampooing clients and the colour washed out nicely! I do have to have more practice washing the nape areas as that is the hardest area I find to wash and make sure all the product is out.

TUESDAY, AUG. 30:
Today we got to do an actual perm on our mannequins. Once again I wasn’t a fan or rolling the hair in the perm rods, and I can say that the scent of the perm solution made me want to puke. I did love the whole process of saturating the hair with the perm solution and then putting the neutralizer on. It was fun to pour mix recklessly over the hair. The finished product looked really cool once it was all done, although mine did look a little ratty and messy, versus curl and bounce.

WEDNESDAY, AUG. 31:
Today was such a chill day for our class. We got to start off the morning with lots of snacks and watch the documentary “Good Hair”. The documentary was funny and entertaining, but also was very educational about african american hair. Also the fact that some women will pay thousands of dollars of weaves is insane, and apparently is a business I need to get into. The afternoon we got to demo a relaxer on our previously permed mannequins. Unfortunately I had to leave early to go pick up my broken car, but it was fun while I was there.

THURSDAY, SEPT. 1:
Today was what I called the “perm day from hell”. El Jay gave us four different perms she wanted us to practice on through out the day. My partner today was Alyssa. I found the cluster perm wrap to be the hardest to do because of so many overlapping parts of the perm. Everything else was pretty easy and straight forward. All I gotta say is I am good for doing perms for the rest of my life.

FRIDAY, SEPT. 2:
I am super excited about today. Today is our classes first hair day. I am partnered up with Brandie and Shayla. We decided that I would go first in the morning. I decided on getting rose gold highlights as well as a soft fade. I turned out awesome and Shay and Brandie killed it. Once that was done We worked on Brandie’s hair in  the afternoon by giving her a honey blonde ombre. It turned out super solid and Brandie was really pumped about it, which made us feel awesome.

SATURDAY, SEPT. 3:
For the morning to day we did a wellness with Coleen for minute to win it. It was hilarious and fun to play some games in the morning and get everyone in a good mood, and it was fun to see everyone laughing and having a good time. Afterwards we spent the morning going over colour again in the classroom and working through some scenarios. The afternoon we had time to work on quotas. I kept practicing my french twists as it needed some brushing up on. It still needs some work but I am getting the dexterity of it a little bit better.

TUESDAY, SEPT. 6:
Today we started the day off of doing an alpha perm wrap. I feel like I am getting really good at doing perm wraps. My sections seem to be really clean and the perm rods seem to be tight and consistent which is solid. The afternoon we had time working on quotas. I continued working on my up do’s including a french twist. This time I incorporated a braid into it to really change it up a little bit and add some dimension into the up do.

WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 7:
We started off the day working on a new perm wrap, the spiral wrap. This wrap was easy to do but seemed to look a lot more messier than the alpha wrap we have previously done before. I had some personal stuff going on so I wasn’t super into it, so I’m hoping the next time we do get a chance to do it I will be a little more into it and observe what I am doing a bit more. The afternoon we had time to do quotas. I worked on my blow outs and curling to help build my dexterity and technique.

THURSDAY, SEPT. 8:
Thursday was our first exam day. Today’s exam was a one length above the shoulder. I did a square one length on my model today. It turned out amazing and really continued to build my confidence as a hair stylist, in the cutting aspect. The afternoon we had more quota time. I spent my time wisely by filling up the quotas I needed to do, and then spent the last our working on my project and procedure cards.

FRIDAY, SEPT. 9:
Today was our first guest day. I had a client named Sheryl who I actually recruited at shoppers drug mart. She was un sure of what kind of hair cut she wanted so we decided to do a subtle cut with concave round layers, and then do a round brush blow out to really give nice volume to her hair. She seemed really happy about it which is awesome! 

SATURDAY, SEPT. 10:
The morning I started off with my client Monique. We did concave layers once again but also did some ELC highlights with a red tone to really compliment her level 8 virgin hair. It turned out super solid but wish I could've given her hair some extra volume. The afternoon I had a client I didn't know named Jody and we did some off the roots highlights. I was super pumped with the finish and it was cool to learn something new. I wish though that the educators would've shown me how to do some beach waves because they didn't turn out the way I expected.

TUESDAY, SEPT. 13:
Today was all about extensions and braids. My braiding skills have been getting better but still not up to par with some of the other students in the class. Doing a cornrow braid was super hard especially learning how to do it under hand as I usually do it over hand. I eventually got the motions of it but just need to practice on getting it more tidy and clean.

WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 14:
The morning was our round layer exam. My model was my friend Ninya and I ended up with an 85% on it which I was pumped about. The cut itself went super easily just need to talk about my product a little more and work on my blow outs and flat iron. The afternoon I practiced my beach waves and they turned out really nice! I loved them and can't wait to do more.

THURSDAY, SEPT. 15:

Today was our triangle layers exam. I ended up with an 88% and it turned out super nice. I am not the biggest fan of the look of triangle layers but she really liked them. She rebooked an appointment for the next morning cause she wanted the same style but in a bob form. The afternoon I worked on my quotas for the week which included a perm alpha wrap and braids.

FRIDAY, SEPT. 16:
Today was our first full guest day on a Friday. My client from my triangle layer exam was suppose to come and get her bob done but ended up not showing up which I was bummed about. I was excited to do a triangle bob with layers on someone but I guess I will have to wait for the next client that wants that. The afternoon I ended up doing Ashley's friends hair in the afternoon with just a trim and layers, then styled it in beach waves. I realized Phermoliant is my new favourite product for styling!

SATURDAY, SEPT. 17:
The morning I had my client Rachelle in to do a colour application and a one length triangle cut. I loved the finish result of and it really suited her face shape. It was definitly my best client cut yet and I can't wait to do more client days! The afternoon was spent working on quotas but I decided to work on my up do's and trying to perfect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment